Official Logo of Bulletstorm
People Can Fly
|Engine||Unreal Engine 3|
|Released||NA February 22, 2011|
AU February 24, 2011
UK February 25, 2011
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows|
Bulletstorm takes place in a futuristic setting where a confederation is being protected by an elite band known as Dead Echo. When Dead Echo members Grayson Hunt and Ishi Sato discover that they had been tricked into assassinating civilians by their commander, the four man Dead Echo squad leaves their commander and ends up fleeing to the edges of the galaxy. Players take the role of Grayson Hunt a few years after his exile, who had since become a drunken space pirate. His crew eventually finds the Ulysses, the flagship of General Sarrano, their former commander. Hunt orders Dead Echo to attack it in their vastly inferior ship, and ends the conflict by ramming his ship through the Ulysses, sending both crashing into Stygia's surface. Ishi was badly wounded in an explosion before the landing, and Dead Echo's crashed ship was attacked by the mutant flesh-eating natives during an operation rebuilding Ishi with nanobots. The attack interrupted the operation and killed the other two members of Dead Echo, leaving Ishi battling for control of his mind against the ship's AI and in constant pain and agony, causing him to constantly nut. The two of them work together, sometimes begrudgingly, to find and use General Sarrano to get off planet, and then kill him.
Players utilize a large arsenal consisting of over-the-top combat moves and incredibly large weapons. Bulletstorm also consists of a variety of unique Skillshots which create extreme levels of frantic gameplay. The skillshot gameplay system rewards the player for creating and inciting mayhem in the most creative way possible. The more deadly the skillshot, the more points players receive to further develop their character, unlock weapons allowing the player to perform even more creative moves and deadly skillshots.
In addition to the single player campaign, there are two multiplayer modes: Anarchy (co-op) and Echo (competitive). In Anarchy mode, up to 4 players co-operatively battle through waves of enemies with progressive difficulty. In Echo mode, you compete with your online friends by playing through areas from the single player campaign in an attempt to get the highest skillshots score, which is tracked on an online scoreboard.
The title is believed to have begun development in 2008 when publisher Electronic Arts announced that it would be publishing a new Intellectual Property from independent game developer Epic Games. A trademark for the name "Bulletstorm" was revealed when game developer People Can Fly filed a trademark for the name in December 2009. Epic Games designer Cliff Blezinski was originally scheduled to announce the game alongside Gears of War 3 during an appearance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on April 8, 2010. However his appearance was delayed to April 12, 2010 after his slot was taken by pop singer Justin Bieber. Soon after Bleszinski announced on the social networking website Twitter, that he would be announcing two games on the show on April 12, 2010. However the game was disclosed prior to the scheduled appearance when gaming magazine, Game Informer, released its May 2010 issue cover which revealed the game.
Every Mission title in Single player game is based on a quote a character says during it. e.g. That Thing is Leaving Without Us.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 McWhertor, Michael (2010-04-09). First Look At Gears Of War & Painkiller Creators' Bloody, Brutal Bulletstorm. Kotaku. Retrieved on 2010-04-20.
- ↑ Dornbush, Jonathon (2016-12-01). BULLETSTORM REMASTERED EDITION REVEALED, RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCED. IGN. Retrieved on 2016-12-02.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Totilo, Stephen (2010-04-12). Bulletstorm To Feature "Outrageously Large Guns". Kotaku. Retrieved on 2010-04-20.
- ↑ Houghton, Stuart (2008-08-14). EA To Publish New IP Title From Epic. Kotaku. Retrieved on 2010-04-20.
- ↑ McWhertor, Michael (2009-12-29). Painkiller Developers Predicting A Bulletstorm. Kotaku. Retrieved on 2010-04-20.
- ↑ McWhertor, Michael (2010-04-07). Gears of War Designer's 'Late Night' Game Reveal Bumped, The Bieber Steps In. Kotaku. Retrieved on 2010-04-20.
- ↑ Cliff Bleszinski (2010-04-09). Newsflash: Two announcements. Twitter. Retrieved on 2010-04-20.